Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Wilderness Part three - Glamping Sal Salis Style

I don't think we could get away with calling it camping, I think this is what they call Glamping!

However, at Sal Salis the only energy available is derived from solar power. This is used to run the kitchens, the little luggage buggy around the decks and the pump that pumps the water through to the shower and the tap.

There is no internet, no mobile connection, no TV, no running water..... nada.

Your allocation of water is 20 litres per person, per day, used to wash yourself with. We found the nack of making it stretch.

Dive in, get wet.

Dive out, lather up.

Dive back in and rinse off.

3 minutes in total, it can be done.

The beds were huge and super comfy. We would just lie there look out to the ocean and listen to her sing. Blissful.

Even though it's winter it is very hot and the sun can be cruel. We wasted no time at all getting into the water which was a gorgeous 28 degrees, like swimming in a warm bath.

Within minutes of getting our masks wet,  we were blessed with a beautiful green turtle gliding ahead of us. Turtles are big favourites of ours, they are just so sweet.

The current is dangerously strong and impossible to swim against, a drift snorkel is the only option here.

"Rashies" as they are called are T-shirts with Factor 50 protection, height of stupidity not to wear one, the sun here does not suffer fools.

After a very satisfactory snorkel and with the beach all to ourselves, Hubster dozed under his hat and I played silly buggers doing handstands and cartwheels.

Happy days.

I often beat Hubster to the hammock for an afternoon's snooze and read whilst marvelling at flocks of beautiful green budgies, wild and free. Not a cage in sight, how it should be.

He always beat me to the Whale Deck, 5.30pm sharp, binoculars in hand. Settling down to a glass of white wine, a few canapes and some serious late afternoon whale watching as the sun bid us goodnight.

Every night we were so hungry, we can only put it down to the sea air. Polishing off, canapes and three courses plus free flowing wine each evening, proved no problem at all.

By 9.30pm most nights we were replete and ready to retire.

Our lantern-lit tent would call us to slumber, finally snuggling down into duck down duvets and dreaming very sweet dreams.

Stay tuned..............rock wallabys and whale sharks to come........................Night, Night, sleep tight and please dont let me find a snake in my shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment